Christian Education at Northminster
It’s hard to believe that it’s almost time for the new program year to begin! We’ve made some exciting changes to Christian Education and Northminster, and we would love to have your family involved! Here is the first version of our Christian Education program calendar for 2011-2012 (please read below calendar for detailed information about Christian Ed at NPC and the programs we offer for children):
- September 8, 6:30 PM, Logan Hall – Sunday School Teacher Dinner & Training
- September 11 – Banner Sunday!
- October 16th – Sunday School Choir sings in worship
- October 29th – Jr. High Halloween Party
- October 30th – 5th Sunday (Children in worship), Bible Sunday
- November 14-18th – Christian Education Week (Details coming soon)
- November 19th – Stop Hunger Now Churchwide Meal Packaging Event (Details coming soon)
- November 20th – Sunday School Choir sings in worship
- December 8th, 15th, 22nd – Children’s Advent Activities @ ToGather
- December 11th – Children of God Sunday
- December 24th – Family Christmas Eve Service
- December 29th – Jr. High Fellowship – Ice Skating
- January 15th – Sunday School Choir sings in worship
- January 29th – 5th Sunday (Children in worship)
- February 18th & 19th – Jr. High Fellowship Retreat @ Camp Saugatuck (Michigan)
- February 19th – Sunday School Choir sings in worship
- March 6th, 13th, 20th – Tuesday Play (After School Activities)
- March 18th - Sunday School Choir sings in worship
- April 1st – Palm Sunday Parade
- April 15th - Sunday School Choir sings in worship
- April 21st – Jr. High Fellowship – Earth Day Hiking
- April 29th – 5th Sunday (Children in worship)
- May 20th - Sunday School Choir sings in worship
- June 17th - Sunday School Choir sings in worship
- TBD: Appalachia Service Project (Senior High), Confirmation
What’s Banner Sunday?
Banner Sunday is how we celebrate the beginning of our program year. This year, Banner Sunday is on September 11, 2011. Join us for worship at 9:30 for a time of celebration and praying for the children as they go to their first Sunday School class of the program year. Stay after worship for a churchwide picnic!
Elementary Children will have “Homerooms”
Each grade will have its own room throughout the year. This will ensure that the children develop a close relationship with each other, and enable them to get the best possible age-appropriate education. This will also be their own space: the teachers will work with each class to help the kids feel comfortable and claim their space so that there is a sense of ownership and belonging.
Curriculum (Preschool-Jr. High)
All of our curriculum will relate to the top four priorities given by parents: Relationship (between God, children and teachers), what it means to have faith, the major and formative stories of Scripture, and what it means to be Christian. These priorities will be our points of measurement throughout the year as we progress through the curriculum.
Team-Teaching (Preschool-Jr. High)
Each grade will have a team of 3-4 adults who will serve as the teachers throughout the year. This will create more consistency and strengthen the relationship between the teachers and the children. The teachers will have curriculum and resources provided, and each teacher is strongly encouraged to share her/his gifts and creativity with the class. Teacher Orientation & Dinner will be September 8th at 6:30 PM in Logan Hall. This will be an exciting time to meet with our teachers, review our goals for the year and tie up any loose ends before we begin the year.
All children and youth are invited to continue participating in occasional services throughout the year (Children’s Sundays and semi-regular children’s choir performances). Preschool children will continue with the regular preschool schedule. Children in 1st-5th grade will be invited to participate in 5th Sundays: October 30th, January 29th, April 29th & July 29th. On 5th Sundays, children will have worship packets that have age-appropriate activities that relate to what is happening in the worship service. During this time, the children will have an opportunity to sit with their classroom “worship mentors” - adults who will be present with the children on 5th Sundays (please see next page for more information). In addition to 5th Sundays, the children will have more intentional teaching on the sacraments incorporated into their regular Sunday School lessons, as well as opportunities to be present for Communion during the worship services on a rotating basis.
The Sunday School Choir (1st-5th grade) will continue to meet every Sunday from 10:45-11:05. Sunday School Choir is the last official segment of Sunday School and is intentionally included as part of our overall curriculum for the kids. The Sunday School Choir will sing in worship on the following days: October 16th, November 20th, December 11th, January 15th, February 19th, March 18th, April 15th, May 20th, June 17th.
Our jr. high program is evolving every year! This year, we welcome a teaching team of several adults to the jr. high program, under the supervision of Scott Simmons, Director of Youth Ministries. We also have a team of parents who coordinate fellowship events. We will add the junior high schedule here soon, so be sure to check back shortly! If you have any questions about junior high, please contact Scott at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Parent Involvement (Preschool – Jr. High)
Because we strongly believe that the children’s program at NPC is worthy of time and commitment, we expect all parents with a child in the Christian Education program to participate throughout the year at some level.
How Can I Get Involved in Children’s Ministries?
- Teach on a Teaching Team (3-4 adults per grade, all curriculum and resources provided)
- Serve as a Classroom Assistant
- Serve as a Supply Coordinator (make sure each classroom has what it needs)
- Worship Mentor (Sit with your grade on 5th Sundays: Oct. 30th, Jan. 29th, April 29th, July 29th)
- Assist with special events (Palm Sunday, Children’s Sundays, etc.)
- Serve as a Children’s Activity Leader on Thursday nights during ToGather from 7:00-7:45
- Help prepare for the Family Christmas Eve service and pageant
- Help prepare for Vacation Bible School 2012
- Serve on the Christian Education Committee
- Give a children’s sermon
I Would Like More Information
If you would like more information about children’s ministries, please contact Adrienne Trevathan, Director of Christian Education, at (847) 309-7340 or email@example.com.
We hope to see you soon and pray God’s blessings on you and your family!
Adrienne Trevathan, Director of Christian Education – firstname.lastname@example.org
The Christian Education Committee: Chris Ganjani, Rita Bailey, Lynn Raspe, Kathy Swartwout, Kimberly Romic, Carol Wooldridge, Leslie Geibel, Jen Evans