Becoming a Member of Northminster
At Northminster, we believe that being part of a Christian community is an important aspect of everyone's spiritual journey. All people are welcomed into the worship and life of Northminster regardless of their membership status, but we do strongly encourage visitors to become members. Members have the right to vote at congregational meetings and can be considered for elected leadership positions in the church.
Our membership process provides information about how Northminster can help members grow in their faith and find a fulfilling place of service and ministry. Those seeking membership are asked to take the following steps:
1. Indication of Interest
In the sign-in sheets found in our pews, visitors have the opportunity to express an interest in Northminster. Visitors who sign the pew pads will be contacted regarding their visit and upcoming membership classes, and will be encouraged to contact us with any questions they may have about Northminster and/or membership.
2. Membership classes
We hold membership classes three times a year, usually in February, May and October. Attending membership classes does not obligate anyone to join, but all who enter membership do so through these classes unless there are special circumstances.
During the classes the following areas are covered:
- Sharing our Faith Journey - A conversation with others about what has brought you to this place in your faith journey and to this church.
- Understanding Presbyterian Faith & Church Life - A brief look at the Presbyterian Church of USA's history and beliefs.
- Exploring Membership at Northminster - A chance to learn about the opportunities to put your time, talent, and resources to work at Northminster.
3. Reception in Worship
Following a reception and formal meeting with church Elders, all new members will be introduced and presented to the congregation at a Sunday morning worship service. As a group they are asked to affirm their faith in Jesus Christ and make a commitment to membership in Northminster Presbyterian Church. If any have not been baptized, they are baptized at this service.
Joining our church can occur in any of three ways:
- Profession of Faith - for those making a first time declaration of their faith in Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior (if never baptized, you will be baptized).
- Reaffirmation of Faith - for those who have made a previous commitment to Jesus and have been baptized but do not have a current church membership to transfer.
- Letter of Transfer - for those who are currently an active member in another church and wish to transfer their membership.
If you are interested in learning more about membership, please contact